Name:
Location: Springfield, Missouri, United States

I am a Master of Divinity student with a love-nay, obsession-for writing and theology. I write science fiction based on biblical stories and theology, and I love to sit and muse on theologial points and life in general in writing. I have often wished I had a way to communicate these musings to people who enjoy the same sort of thing; thus a blog.

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Be Lifted High

In chapel one time we had an extraordinary example of using all kinds of talents in the worship of God. A young woman did a special number, a ballet to the song that goes, “Be blessed, be loved, be lifted high, be treasured here, now glorified.” It was amazing. How often do you have ballet in church or chapel? It’s amazing how things of beauty move me, especially as they are done for God’s glory. Another day, a friend of mine played a violin piece in chapel, and again the use of the arts in worship delighted me. God has made me to be touched, impacted by these things and to participate in them. I love it. I love how He has made me and the talents He has given others. The cross is the basis for everything. Talents and arts informed by, dedicated to, presided over by the cross—what wonderful things they will be! It has been said before: the church ought to be the most creative place. We cannot dare to say that these talents God has given us have no place in the church. Why has He given them to us but for His glory?

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Maggi said...

I agree completely. That sounds so beautiful. It's amazing how we think all sorts of things are 'bad' and God created everything, and satan has taken and twisted what God created, and we think that it makes it all bad. I have a MySpace page, and someone made one for Jesus. "Okay, weird," was my first thought, but I started looking at it and at the FAQs, reasons the person who set it up did, and it's really cool. S/he responded to people's comments very graciously, "Why on earth are you doing this?" "This is some dumb kids, etc." "Jesus wouldn't have a MySpace." To the last, s/he said, "If Jesus wouldn't, why do you?" Hehe.

My opinion is that Jesus would have a MySpace page. He touched people where they were, talked to them in the culture they were in. He didn't force them to change to fit what they should be; He loved them and let them choose to change; just like He loves us. He touches us where we are and draws us to Himself.

And He uses what He knows will touch our hearts, MySpace or ballet!

12:00 PM, March 30, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow somehow I missed this one. That is awsome stuff. Still processing. Is it okay if I e-mail a link to my Pastor?

Maggi, that is kind of interesting about the Jesus MySpace page. I may check it out. I can't have a MySpace page for personal reasons, I don't have the self control for it. My church has one though :)

9:54 PM, March 31, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somehow I commented on the wrong one so I hadn't read this latest one I was commenting on the one about the law, but this is all good stuff, now maggi's comment makes more sence! lol

9:59 PM, March 31, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home